Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween sounds wrong. Happy goes with Happy Birthday or Happy New Year or have a happy day. Halloween is not one of my favorite holidays although judging by the picture I’m showing, I thought it was then. According to the familar script on the back of the photo, I was five and it was my first Halloween costume. I don't recognize the background but I’m assuming it was taken in California where I was raised until I was five and a half. Proud of my costume and obviously so very happy and well-loved, still innocent of the evil and cruelties in life, I had no clue that that my life would change dramatically within a few months and I’d lose some of the people that I loved. I would move to Iowa and start life anew by the age of six.
My original plan was to write a few miscellaneous word fillers as I really only wanted to show off how adorable I was in my costume way back when. Yet this picture means so more to me. It was one that returned to me late in life and it haunts me, this happy little girl that I once was. Don’t we all study pictures of our youth, amazed that we were so full of life, joy, and innocence then? Don’t we all miss that part of us? Or maybe we still have it but are hiding it behind our masks? I know I do.
BOO!

1 comment:

  1. Well said. It seems we have spots in our lives where everything changed from what was happy and comfortable and our innocence wears away. I do think we all still have some of it. Even when it is well hidden. Thanks for sharing. Your blog is one of the things I most look forward to on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Followers